background

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

21 June 2010

Today did not start off on the best foot but when does it start off well with nearly 20 kids mad at you? Let me explain.. Yesterday while P was on her rampage she decided that all the kids shoes needed to be taken away since non of them got polished so everyone had to go to school barefoot. So Hyena and I were on shoe patrol and had to take any and all shoes we could find cuz kids were trying to sneak them into the backpacks to wear them later. They were NOT happy! Especially the older ones but I was so proud and impressed with all the younger ones because not one of them put up an argument or gave me any trouble which made it a little easier.

Tude was my biggest struggle today she had told me that she refused to go to school but later started walking there (or so I thought). When Hyena and I were about to leave to make sure that Mr. GQ and Tude did infact go to school Hats stopped us to tell us that Tude did not, that she had stopped down at the guards shack and then decided to walk to L's house (one of our workers) to get a pair of her daughters shoes. I was pretty mad at this point because she gave me so much trouble in the morning, disobeyed again and I was mad at Scar because I specifically asked him to drive her to school because I knew she would not go. When she got bak her and I sat down to talk about it and she was throwing every excuse out there that she could and go on and on about the million and one things that she was mad about which was just making me more angry, I also found out that she yelled at one of our workers today and threatned to hit her with an ax. I told her that when Scar returned we would all sit down together so we could discuss things and come up with a punishment for her.

Hyena and I then went to talk to her headmaster cuz we wanted him to know that the reason she missed school today was because she was being dishonest so if she needed to do something to make up her unexcused absence we would support him I also wanted to find out if she was lashing out at her teachers like she was to the workers at the orphanage because that is not acceptable behavior. I really like her head master and we decided that she will go see the school counslor this week to talk about things because we both feel like there is something that is really bothering her, I will go back next week to talk to him again and see how things are going. I really hope that we can help her but more importantly I hope that she will allow us to help her, we all really care for her ( we care for all the children) and just want what is best for each of them!

When I got back I went down to help care for Bugzy but Little Rat saw me and was very clingy and jealous that I was holding him so I brought both of them up to my flat with me, I sat her on the sofa chair for a moment while I did something with Bugzy and when I looked over she had fallen asleep sitting up- poor baby was so tired! I laid her down on the couch but then decided with all the people coming in and out she would proabably sleep better in in her bed so I took her down.

Some kids came to get the monthly food that we give them ( a nearby residence who has a few orphans). Then all the kids got back from school it was apparent that some of the kids were still mad at me but they all did their chores quickly and without arguing. Then Rock, Mana, Obama and Abraham built a play house so I went in and played with them, Lips then came over and we made mud birthday cakes for Abraham, Obama, Simon and Me since all of our birthdays are in July. Our game then turned into me being queen and the play house being my castle- Hands was my security guard and Rock and Mana were the bad guys, they would kidnap me and Hands would have to come save me we played that for awhile then we all played hide and seek which really was me trying to hide but they would all watch where I went and then attack!

While all the kids were bathing I played with Baby Girl and Jump for a bit til it was there turn to bathe, I then went to turn the lights on since it was starting to get dark- all the batteries were in the red so we couldn't turn them on with out the generator- well we couldn't get the generator to start even after putting gas in it so that means no electricity tonight. I went around and found every candle and flashlight I could find so they could have light at dinner, devotional, and while putting the kids to bed.

While we were eating supper R came and got me, her sons wife who is pregnant was in alot of pain and needed to go to the clinic- oh great I was the only driver (by driver I mean I have tried to drive a standard a few times in America and failed miserably and I have driven one here a couple times) but being the only driver and not willing to let a mom or her baby be in danger since I am scared to drive I took TS (a guard) and we set off. Let me just say that when someone down there says that something is close they have no idea what they are talking about finally me and my white knuckles ( from holding the wheel so tight) -remember there is no electricity at all, we are on small bumpy dirt roads in the middle of nowhere- got safely to the lady and the lady safely to the clinic only to find out that she needs to go to Mutare cuz it is more serious then they thought. Are you flipping serious!? You know it's and hour and a half away- that I have very little standard driving experience and that it's pitch black outside! I of course will do it if I have to but as I was driving back to the orphange to tell Hyena he was in charge all night and what was going on I had my fingers, toes, eyes, nose, ears and everything else I could think of crossed in the hope that Scar was back and would take her. Thanks to my lucky stars he was home so I ran up to him slightly panicked and begging for him to take her and bless his heart he did!

Oh I think I forgot to mention that a GoGo ( old lady) and her son came today they had walked more then 45 kilometers cuz they heard there was a doctor coming to the clinic tomorrow that could help her cuz she can't see, so they were asking if they could get a ride tomorrow of course I said yes an put them up in a room down by the guard to stay for the night- people here amaze me! Also I found out that Nala thinks she is pregnant but has been experiencing some pain and is worried since she had a miscarriage in January and also wanted to go to the clinic tomorrow. Also did I mention that I was alone all day today? Rafiki and Timon had to go to town with Scar, Sarabi was still gone so it was Hyena and I which I am so grateful that he was here - I would have lost it with out him! Well I am exaushted and my nerves are shot! Good Night!

Kourtni and the not so good
busy, stressful, long, tiring
yet still great day!!

I can't help but love all these kids! Every last one of them! Even when they push my buttons I am still 100% head over heels in love with them!


Volume

Simon

The kids getting water for bath time

No comments: