background

Sunday, May 15, 2011

14 June 2010

Dear Journal

This morning I woke up to the blessed sounds of children- how sweet the sounds!! I am so in love with these kids! Zazu and Scar were going to town today and at the last minute Sarabi decided that she wanted to go as well so left me in charge of everything and to make sure that things ran smoothly.

We were saying goodbye to the kids since they were leaving for school and they talked Rafiki into going and doing the FMSC (feed my starving children) program so she went school all day with the kids and by all day I meand from 7-12. Timon was still asleep, everyone was gone, kids were in school so I sat down and played with Volume, Little Rat, Dee-Dee and N. They played with my hair, we sang songs, they were attempting to teach me Shona ( really I was just copying what they were saying and they were just laughing at me! :)..) We then decided to blow bubbles but I couldn't get the mixture correct so the bubbles were not working correctly, they then had to go to preschool.

Timon was awake by this point so her and I each went down and got a baby and brought them back to our flat, she had Giggles and I had Bugzy, we played with them for a while then took them down to get thier nappies changed and got thier bottles. We took them back up to feed them and then all 4 of us fell asleep and took a nap on the sofas. We weren't asleep for long when E came to get me. She was taking me to get naches (a mixture between an orange and a lemon) from a local. Hats suggested that we drive cuz it was pretty far away so since I was the only one out of the 3 of us that could drive I got behind the wheel- I was a bit nervous since the last and only time that I drove a standard was when I was here last time, I think I did really really well, I was pretty proud of myself. Naches are so delicious!

When we got back Timon and I decided that we would start the "sudza cook off". We have been asked to come up with other ways to cook sudza cuz they are getting sick of it. So we mixed a sudza mixture into almost a pancake mixture for "sudza pancakes" ( they were still pretty bland and even when we added tomatoes to it), we then attempted to make "sudza tamales" they were ok, we didn't care for them but our little shadows ate them up- lastly we made "mexican cornbread" the kids and the workers really seemed to like this one who knows if we made any progress but it showed them that we are willing to help. (let me explain what sudza is, it is a white cornmeal mixture that is a little thicker then mashed potatoes but very bland).

We then did bubbles while we waited for the kids to come home from school, when they got home we split them in groups and did flash cards with them- I did math with: Obama, Mana, Clown, Thinker, Froggy and Drama. Rafiki and Timon were doing other cards with Volume, Mr. Leech, Dee-Dee, N and a few others. We then were going to go do classes with Mr. B but I got called away to an emergency; a lady in the clinic was in labor and needed to be transferred to Mutare. I was the only driver there besides Wonton so he agreed to go with to help me just in case. We got to the clinic to pick her up and they came out to tell me that she had just delivered the baby and asked me to come see her. She was absolutely beautiful! It's amazing how precious a new born baby is. We dropped them off at their house then came back to be with the kids. I sat down and did homework with Mr GQ and Tude while we watched Nala do Braids and Lips hair. It was then time for dinner and bed. We told everyone goodnight then came up here to do a few thing and discuss how our day went. I LOVE THESE KIDS SO MUCH!


Rafiki on her way to the school




Rafiki helping with FMSC


Me and Little Rat



Little Rat and Simon

No comments: