background

Monday, August 1, 2011

22 June 2010

This morning I had to take Nala and the Go-Go to the clinic. The doctor wants both of them to go to Mutare tomorrow so they have joined the list of people who are going on Big Blue.

When I got back I started talking to Jump thru the window (this is usually the only way he will play with or talk to either of us- we think he is terrified of white people), he then played with me thru the door- a huge step- I then got him to walk with me to my flat ( I may have offered him a treat, hey I am not ashamed to buy a child's love:).. ) He played up in my flat with me for awhile WAY TO GO JUMP! About an hour later I was saying hi to him from a distance and I reached my arms out to him to hold him and he ran to me for me to pick him up, I think we are making some great progress with him!

I then began cooking lunch/supper for the girls and I ( we had potatoes and veggies that were going to go bad). I took a break from that and went with T to pick up the girls from the school- they went there again to do the FMSC program. When we got back I finished getting the food ready. We played around with N, Queen, Dee-Dee, Mr. Leech, Simon and Volume in our flat for awhile then it was time to send them to class with Mr. B.

Then we had Nala teach us how to wash laundry by hand. It amazes me the physical work that these people do everyday! So we got a couple buckets of water and poured them into the "sink" it's a big cement type sink with ridges on the side for scrubbing your clothes on. After we scrubbed the whites we put them in the rinse bin for Timon to rinse, after whites it was time for colors so we scrubbed and rinsed them- we then did the same process with the blacks and blankets. I don't know how they do this for hours a day, your back ache from bending and your arms and hands get so tired. We then rinsed the clothes one more time and hung them up to dry, we hung them on the fence (wonderfully so it was the entrance fence and it was all our clothes bras and underwear included! Good thing there is no shame nor embarrassment here!:)..) We were tired and yet again humbled by these ladies and the things we take for granted back home.

Finally it was time to go to Right's house- we were going to go on Saturday but I was gone so we were going to go Monday but Rafiki and Timon were gone so we finally made it out there today. When we got there we just kind of sat and talked for a moment and then he introduced us to his children: Belvin ( 1 1/2 years), Ruben ( 4 years), Miriam ( 6 years), Viena ( 8 years) and Rhonda ( 10 years). We took pictures and played around then his wife Princess came in so we talked some more and took more pictures. Princess and Rhonda then made tea for everyone, while we were all sitting the Right and P ( the guard we brought with us) were teaching us Shona, Princess was just laughing at us and the way we pronounce things. I then began playing a game with the kids since they were outside I would run out growling and they would run away laughing. I would hide in different spots and tell Right to call them in but they wouldn't fall for my tricks. It kept both the kids and the adults entertained to watch me run around chasing a scaring the kids.

We then walked across the road to his parents house a very very sweet and kind couple we sat around and visited for a bit then his dad brought a chicken in ( a very alive and still breathing chicken). He wanted to give it to us as a gift so the tradition is for them to pass it around and give it to eachother then give it to us as a symbol that it is a gift from all of them. Luckily I was the camera man so I didn't have to hold the chicken we said our thank yous and joked that we don't know how to cook it since our chicken comes frozen from a store. It was becoming dusk so we needed to head back, we thanked them again and walked back to Right's; chicken in tow ( thanks to our mighty guard for holding it). When we got to Right's I took a couple family pictures and as we were leaving they gave us a Guinea Fowl ( again a very live bird). We thanked them said our goodbyes and got into the truck ( P and the birds in back and the girls and I in the front). The way back we laughed and laughed cuz what are we supposed to do with these birds! :) When we got back P took them to the chicken coop for us.

The kids were outside so we went and visited them. Scar said that receiving a Guinea Fowl is the biggest form of respect and the chicken is the 2nd biggest form of respect. I am so humbled and in love with these people! We decided we will cook them for our big day on Saturday! ( I can't wait to write about it!) We then said our goodnights and the kids went to do devotional while we came up here. I went back to see if they had polished their shoes and there was a big row of freshly polished black shoes. I was so proud of them!! I can't explain how it is even possible for your heart to welcome so many kids in but I am so so in love with them- more so every day!!

I realized today that our time is almost 1/2 over that makes me so sad! I am not ready to leave my kids again! Did I mention I am so in love?!?



Me with Right and his family


Right, his Wife and Parents


Timon holding our chicken


Right with his kids


Our guards with our guinea fowl and chicken


Rafiki and Timon with our guinea fowl and chicken

Us girls washing our clothes




No comments: