background

Wednesday, October 5, 2011

White Water Rafting

My sister in law and her family have a big camping trip every year where they go white water rafting down the snake river, this year they invited me to join them and I was so excited to go! I LOVE CAMPING!! After getting up there and getting set up my friend and I got to join on the adult run down the river ( we had never been before so we were seated in the inside of the boat while everyone on the sides did the rafting). The water level was so high this year due to all the rain so I guess it added some new things to the trail, it was so much fun to go down in and we made it with out a problem!! We then did a kiddie run which is just a smooth ride down that all the little ones get to go on, it was fun to see all of them enjoy the river as much as the adults. We got back to camp and had dinner and smores while we all talked around the camp fire the next day my sister in laws dad took my friend and I, my brothers friend, my SIL's sister and her husband for a run.. Well there is a place that they call lunch counter and this year it has 4 waves 14+feet each right in a row that you go down.. Right before we get to this point her dad is sitting there yelling we're not gonna make it, we're not gonna make it so of course it puts the negative vibe in the boat and we have 2 newbies who have never done it before so we hit the first wave and I know I am going out so I plug my nose and hold on to my ore and go in, me going in set the balance of the boat off which shot my friend off the side on the other side. I continue to hold my ore and fight off the next 3 giant waves and like 5 smaller waves when I look up the boat is still behind me so I start trying to swim to it but get caught in a little cove type thing and I am swimming as hard as I can and I'm not going anywhere, next thing I know they are now down river from me and I am still fighting my hardest to get to them.. Her dad stands up on the back of the boat and throws the rope to me well there was a knot in the rope so it pulled the bag out of his hand so I am now in the water with my ore, the entire rope which is not in the bag anymore so I am getting tied up in the rope trying to swim to my raft that is trying to get to the rocks to come help me. Luckily a raft was coming in behind me so I decided to swim to them and their rope was in the water so I grabbed that and got pulled to the side of the raft mind you I am still wrapped up in my rope, and holding my ore and now tangled in their rope as well.. My raft got stopped at the rocks where her dad hiked over to get me and the rope then we hiked back over to our raft to finish our ride. We had another moment where her sister almost fell in but was grabbed by her dad and had her foot hooked down well enough it didn't pull her all the way in. It was such an adventure! It was a rush, so exciting, so fun and the best experience!! My SIL had brought the kids down to see us go over the lunch counter part and the kids were convienced that Ki-Ki drowned! That afternoon my friend and I went on one last run with my bro and sis in law, her dad, cousin, my bro's friend and her two brother in laws, we made it down the river with no problems and it was so much fun!! Thanks C family for letting us join!!

Here is the run on the first day


Here is the first wave


I have fallen in you can see me in the bottom left corner


You can see the handle of my ore


There is a tiny piece of the handle of my ore, look hard


And I am gone!!

No comments: