background

Wednesday, August 26, 2009

My days




My day begins at six in the morning but I am woken up a bit earlier then that because let me just tell you that roosters do NOT crow when the sun comes up they crow no matter how dark it is and it is not just once it is several times but no complaining because that gives me some time to read and have to myself before I start the day.. The workers come to work a little after six and I give them the key to the things they need (for example the drivers need the keys to the trucks and tractors, the field workers need the key to the garage, tool shed or chicken house.. ) Through out the day people come from around that are needy and ask for food or clothes, Paula being Paula is very generous to everyone so I get things together and send them with them. We also have a food room here where all the food is kept so a couple times a day I need to go with the ones who cook to get food for them. On top of keeping track of all the workers and making sure things get done there are 39 wonderful children who need love an attention so I try to spend as much of my time possible with them.. These kids are so tiny in stature because they have been malnourished before they got here.. There is a baby girl who is a year and a half and she is the size of a skinny petit six month old back home.. There is a six month old who is the size of a two month old.. There is are a couple of toddlers about four years old who follow me around all day and they are the size of two year olds.. They are so cute!! I am trying to figure out how to put 39 kids into my suit case!! Around five the little ones get there evening bathes (it is amazing how dirty kids can get!) and by bath I do not mean a bath tub I mean a big bucket type thing that one kid sits in at a time and gets washed off with a wash clothe, then it is dinner time and time for bed.. We only have solar power here so to keep it so it lasts longer we only turn it on from 5 to 8 at night, which means I am in bed by nine.. That is one thing I am not use to is early nights but it works well since I have early mornings..

5 comments:

Unknown said...

That's great daughter. I'm happy you are living your dreams. NOW YOU GET YOUR BUTT HOME YOUNG LADY! YOU ARE SOOOOOOOO GROUNDED! Going so far away and making you're Da worry so much. and not calling me for more than a day and a half when you were supposed to let me know when you landed. YOU ARE IN SOO MUCH TROUBLE YOUNG LADY! You go to yuor room but get me some ice first! :) :) :)

Laura said...

Hey Kourtni, I am so glad you are blogging your experiences. Sounds like an incredible adventure. Waiting for pictures!!!

jami said...

We miss u sooooooooo much - glad to hear ur doing well - we got a new 'nanny' - 3 words - 'it's not kourtni' - BUT NO - she had to go to Africa - I guess we'll have to let them share the amazing, wonderful person u r! they will be blessed - love you - jami

Rylee & Kimball Hannan said...

Im so jealous!!!It sounds like such a cool and amazing thing I hope I can do this one day!

Cathy said...

Kourtni, I am so proud of you. What an incredible opportunity you had and looks like it made a huge impact on your life. Call me when you can and we can talk about your plans. thank you for taking your time to introduce us to all your new little friends.